Wednesday, April 09, 2008

POEM 1 WARNING


WARNING!!!

When I am an old --------------I shall wear ---------------
With a -------------hat which doesn't go, and doesn't ------------- me.
And I shall ------------- my pension ---------- brandy and summer gloves
And satin ------------, and say we've ---------- money for butter.
I shall -------- down on the pavement ----------- I'm tired
And gobble -------samples in shops and -------- alarm bells
And ---------- my stick along the ---------- railings
And ---------up for the sobriety of ---------youth.
I ----------go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick ------------ in other people's gardens
And learn ---------- spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/warning

video to listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1RU4SM2L8

Exercise:

1-Watch the poem and fill in the blank spaces.

2-How many pounds of sausages will she eat in a go?

-

3-Look for a word that means the same as: hoard =

Write a sentence.

4-What is the meaning of: swear =

Write a conditional sentence

5-Ought to is a modal with the same meaning as: must/have to/ should/ can

6-Write a verse starting with:.

“When I’m 25


No comments: